expr:class='data:blog.pageType'>

Song Choice - A Guide for Worship Leaders



























Often times the worship band sounds like they’ve just stepped out from a major recording session. The vocals are soaring and the harmonies are jaw dropping. The sound and lighting system are state of the art. And yet . . . something’s missing. Few members of the congregation are singing or are engaged. The performance of the worship team is great but that’s just it; it’s a performance with little participation.

Having the world’s best worship team, phenomenal vocals and astounding technology is wonderful. However, without the right song choices to engage your congregation, you may as well be playing in your garage.

First, it’s important to remember that song choice isn’t about you – your voice, your preferences, your creativity. It’s more about who you’re serving, who you’re leading, and what will engage them in worship.

With that said, here is the list of questions you can apply to your next song list: 

Is Jesus at the center?
Now, every song you lead isn’t solely about Jesus. But this should  be the most helpful question. If a song isn’t directly about Christ and His character, you need to know why. Because Christ-centered songs are the best songs, in my opinion. I desire the majority of my worship sets to be filled with these kinds of songs. This is what I want my church to be mindful of. 

Is it engaging? 
 I want the songs I lead to be interesting, catchy, and fun to experience. There’s not enough time to lead poorly written songs. I’m looking for songs that capture a room. 

Is it singable?
Just recently I had my two summer interns suggest some new songs we should do for July & August. I found myself saying “no” to most of them. The main reason? They’re weren’t singable for our congregation. They didn’t possess an “easily digestible” melody for our people.
Sure, they were popular songs. Sure, they would work in certain contexts. But I’m always thinking – “what will work for JCC Church?” You should ask the same. Remember, most of the people in your church are not musicians looking for something creative and challenging. They simply want Jesus. 

Does it teach an important truth?
The best songs are songs that speak directly to what your congregation is experiencing. Of course, that’s different themes at different times. I remember back when “You Never Let Go” by Matt Redman was released. Such an important song for our church at that time. A well chosen song can unite a church in a special way. Ask – “What is my church going through right now?” 

Can my band play it?
Want to know why Chris Tomlin and Hillsong songs find their way into so many setlists? They create methodical, simple, easily-understood arrangements. When I’m listening for songs, I’m thinking – “Can my band pull this off? Is it challenging, yet accessible?” 

Is it declarative? 
The songs I like to do most are songs that declare truth. They call people to rise up. They inspire people to sing at the top of their lungs. So I’m looking for songs with powerful choruses. I envision my church singing them acapella. How would it sound? Every aspect of a song is important, but a soaring bridge and chorus really does the trick for me. 


PAGE 1 2
Song Choice - A Guide for Worship Leaders Song Choice - A Guide for Worship Leaders Reviewed by Admin on 6:30:00 AM Rating: 5

No comments